I am in the process of refurbishing my Altec Lagunas and have removed the four 803A's. I am wondering if the cones are original. These Lagunas were bought individually from different sources four years and 1000 miles apart. Both are low serial numbers and, I believe, were made in 1958. 1958 was the last year Altec made the 803A. The woman I bought the second one from says she remembers when her father bought the Laguna the year she started school in 1958. All four woofers look identical as far as the cones, surrounds, spiders, dustcaps, etc. Numbers stamped on the cones are: 502218 and 501278 on one pair, and 501308 on both of the other pair. The surrounds appear to be 803A type surrounds, so if they were reconed it must have been years ago when these surrounds were still available. Also I would think that if they were reconed the latter 803B accordian style surrounds would have been used. The screw heads on the surround clamps on all four woofers appear to have been used which leads me to believe something was done to all of them.
altec803A1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
altec spider1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
alteccone1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!





Bookmarks